Lower back pain is a common problem that arises due to older age, obesity, muscle spasms, osteoarthritis or ligament sprain. It has emerged as a chronic disease characterized by a consistent pain in the lower back. Lower back pain increases due to lifting, moving objects ultimately reducing the work capacity and quality of life. The Ayurvedic treatment for back pain involves balancing the ‘dosha’ in order to get back to a normal state.
Here are 11 Best Ayurvedic home remedies to reduce lower back pain:
1. Potato: Grate raw potatoes and wrap them in a piece of thin cloth. Create a poultice and keep it on your lower back for at least an hour.
2. Oats: Cook whole oats, and mash them with vinegar. Apply this hot paste on your lower back in order to lower the pain.
3. Milk: Known for being a good source of calcium, milk strengthens bones and curbs back pain. Have warm milk with honey or turmeric to cure the pain.
4. Ginger tea: Slice one fresh ginger root and boil them in one-quarter of water. Steep for half an hour on low heat. Let it cool and sip it twice a day.
5. Cabbage Leaves: Put some cabbage leaves in boiling milk. Drape them in a cloth and apply on the affected area to relieve the pain.
6. Chamomile Tea: Take a cup of boiling water and add 1 tbsp of chamomile flowers into it. Steep for 15 minutes and sip at least 2 cups daily.
7. Basil: Boil 10 basil leaves in a cup of water with 1 tsp of salt and bring it down to a syrup consistency. Consume it thrice a day.
8. Turmeric: Prepare a paste with 2 tbsps of turmeric, 1 tbsp honey, and 2 tbsps milk. Rub this paste on the lower back for 5 to 8 minutes daily for at least 2-3 weeks.
9. Aloevera: Use fresh aloe vera gel to apply on the affected area. Drinking aloe vera juice daily helps in treating lower back pain.
10. Honey: Mix 1 tbsp of honey with a glass of warm water. Drink this daily for 2 to 3 weeks to see a positive effect.
11. Lemon juice: Add 1/4 tsp of salt into the juice of half a lemon. Stir well. Consume it on a regular basis.
It is recommended to speak to an Ayurvedic practitioner before you start any of the recommended therapies above, as they will help you in figuring out the best one for your health condition.