With our kidneys working round the clock to flush out toxins from our body, they need some detoxification in order to avoid shutting down and restore balance. Our routines and eating habits interfere with the process which leads to kidney disorders. The Ayurvedic treatment for kidney care promotes the strengthening of kidneys and restores it for general functioning of kidneys. Ayurveda aims at providing a treatment that eliminates the need for dialysis. It involves alterations in lifestyle routines, diet modifications, herbs and therapies which clean channels along with reducing swelling and inflammation.
• Drink lots of water: Enough water intake acts as a regular detox for the kidney and the urine helps pass out the toxins. Avoid beverages like aerated drinks, caffeine and packaged juices.
• Load up on fruits: Potassium is found in abundance in fruits and vegetables. Especially citrus fruits like oranges, bananas, kiwis, and apricots are rich in potassium, which helps in kidney cleansing.
• Berries are essential: The acid in berries help in clearing the buildup of urea and uric acid in the kidneys, helping with the detoxification process.
• Substitute wheat with Barley: Mismanaged diabetes interferes with the kidney functioning and barley helps in regulating sugar levels. So, you can use barley flour as a substitute for wheat.
Ayurvedic herbal remedies:
• Punarnava: Commonly called ‘hogweed,’ it is a very beneficial herbal diuretic. It helps in removing excess water from the body due to kidney failure and has no side effects.
• Varuna: This is another excellent herb for kidney care, also referred as ‘caper.’ Mainly used for urinary tract infections and breaking down stones, it also relieves swelling and excess fluid accumulation.
• Gokshura: It is used to treat kidney and urinary tract diseases and flushes out kidney stones.
One capsule of 60-250 mg strength can be taken twice a day post meals.
• Dandelion: A dandelion root decoction is essential for correcting kidney disorders as it helps release excess body fluid.
• Astragalus: Consumption of 250 mg to 500 mg of the astragalus extract thrice a day is beneficial for kidney diseases and reduces inflammation, working as a diuretic.
When combined with the procedures of Acupuncture and Pranayama, these remedies reap double benefits for the kidney patients. It is recommended that you consult your Ayurvedic practitioner before starting any of the above remedies, as they will guide you to the best treatment that maximizes the advantages.